Skip to main content

Police Fatima!

Fatima just wrote to tell me that when she gets older she wants to be a cop, so she can catch all the thieves.

At first, the police officers’ courage in fighting crime has been an inspiration to a six year old girl growing up in rural Mayan communities in Chimaltenango. Breaking the male-dominated world of police service, I can see the future of Guatemala and indeed beyond will be in the safe hands of brave women too. The people will sleep safely in their beds at night only because rough men and women will stand ready to visit violence on those who would harm them. But dare we ask Fatima, the crime fighting hero, out in the dead of night dressed up and making sure all is safe!

I never knew how cleaver and artistic Estephanie (my former sponsee & goddaughter) was until she illustrated a scene that Fatima in her Traje is chasing up to catch a thief with a gun in her hand. I loved her superb imagination, particularly wearing a police circlet and bringing to life my own story of an incident that happened to me when I was 21.

It was a rush morning at around 8AM commuting 15 miles in public transport to school in the bustling city of Colombo, Sri Lanka. The night before the dawn, my mom was on call in night-duty at the hospital and about to finish her work and return home that morning. I had some bus fare in my wallet, which I always carried in my trouser pocket. My journey had to be made through a transit service, so I got off at my first stop and started walking toward my next bus stance.

I was about to get ready my cash for the bus ticket, and realized that I lost my wallet inside the crowded bus I traveled before. Even to this day, I can't remember whether it was accidentally dropped where I was standing and then seating, or else someone has pick-pocketed.

The second leg of my journey was equally long with traffic jam and noise around right in the heart of Colombo, but I didn't have money in my hand to get to school that day. Out of panic and desperation, I remember putting my hand out in the middle of the main road to stop my bus, which was approaching next stop where I was heading to catch it.

Whilst it was stranded briefly in the midst of Colombo traffic, I was quick to explain to the conductor that I lost my wallet and have no money to give, but asked if he will drop me at my mom's hospital. He frantically asked me as the bus pulled away to get in and gave me a seat too.

When I was very little, some days my mom used to take and keep me in the staff quarters while she was on duty, but that was about 10yrs ago (by then), so I had only a vague memory of how to get to her ward.

I got off the bus and thanked the driver and the conductor with my deepest gratification for giving me a free ride that morning. Then, I followed my childhood memory path to find my mom. I still remember the flooding of memories during my short walk through, now considered the largest children’s hospital in the world and ultimately reaching her ward. My mom was in shock to see me there, so I explained what's happened. She gave me some cash to take a bus to get to school.

During our lunch break, I received a telephone call from the school reception asking for me. The lady receptionist asked me if I lost my wallet this morning. I was lost for words momentarily thinking how she knew about this, but then found out that she received a phone call from Mr xxx who worked in a nearby company and was traveling in the same bus and found my wallet.

He saw my details to contact the school and asked me to come and see him, so I was given directions to get to his workplace. Astonishingly, it was only a short walking distance from the school. At our meeting he told me, there was no money left in the wallet when he found it before handing over. Again I could not be thankful enough for his kindness in returning the empty wallet to me that day.

Meanwhile, my mom had returned home and was so upset the whole day thinking about my encounter. We didn't have a telephone to communicate each other and she was totally unaware of what followed during the day at school. So, to her much relief I broke the latest news of the day on my return in the evening.

The day with such an unfolding drama was memorable enough to remember the beauty of human kindness – the bus conductor, the stranger/gentleman, but whoever picked my money some three decades ago is now in the records book of “Police Fatima”, pending investigation!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

As the 2022 draws to a close..

My life devoted to helping the children of this world started exactly 17 years ago on this day with Children International. Initially I was looking for a child sponsorship program through UK based organisation because every $ or £ I donate the UK government would have added 25% on top (as opposed to less Income Tax taken off from your earnings in the USA). In other words, living and working in the UK, yet supporting a charity outside the country won't have any tax benefits to either myself or CI. It was a big decision for me personally. I did my research and decided to go with CI and another international program based here for a year just to compare the services. CI stood up to my expectations despite losing that extra governmental support. It was very different or (should I say) the golden time of this organisation. Today, my sponsorship world spans across 3 continents with CI and 3 other local NGOs based in Bhutan and Sri Lanka. In fact my Bhutanese sponsorship inspired by a sto

World of Delicious Recipes

I recently asked the children in my second 'group letter' to write a recipe for a healthy dish. They were asked to imagine that one day I travel afar from Scotland to come see them, and they are going to make a special dish just for me. Before my travel, a food bag will be delivered to their home, which contains the following items & ingredients costing total of less than $10. 1) Mix vegetable packet, 2) Pack of tomatoes, 3) Packet of red onions, 4) Rice packet, 5) Tinned salmon, 6) Olive oil bottle, 7) Curry powder, 8) Chilli powder, 9) Fresh green chillies, 10) Cooking salt. Assuming they have all the pots/pans/utensils, the challenge was to write a set of instructions for preparing their dish but only using the above list, name the dish and finally, as a paying customer how much would they charge me for the meal. I was looking for their best of culinary skills to prepare a recipe for a nutritious and tasteful dish. To my astonishment, Aaron from Guayaquil has

Visit to Mundo Petapa

After our long awaited reunion voyage, I thought taking back down the memory lane to remember times of joy CI sponsorship brought to us all. The younger sister, Nicole, niece, grandmother and the parents joined Estephanie to celebrate her 9th birthday anniversary at Mundo Petapa , an amusement park in Guatemala City. This park was inaugurated over four decades ago. There the family discovered various fun activities, especially being enjoyed by the father gave enormous boost to excitement, along with a break for the main event in the cafeteria – what a memorable day made possible by the staff at CI Mariscal! (photos added to my SCS blog ) As I learn about the family closely now, they are not just fun loving but well known and respected in the community. I'm full of admiration for their advocacy by getting children involved in every aspect of life. And Estephanie being 'ahijada' (goddaughter) is a very special honor any sponsor can ever dreamed for. Today, my care in h