Skip to main content

Field activities

MSC archived stories - July 7, 2024

CI India is making headway.. we know Kolkata resumed work recently [http://sahaywb.in], and now Delhi too, the website revamp has just gone live [www.children.net.in] – promising prospects on the ground that I believe look to soon resume sponsor connection activities (i.e. letters, EG/DP, waiting list).

 

CI having local NGOs like SAHAY or CHILDREN give us the opportunity to have great insights into what's happening over there, especially through resources like Annual Report. For example, a program called 'Yuva Vikas' in Hindi/Sanskrit meaning 'Youth Development' (ages 16-18) in action (Delhi AR 2022-23). It even shows how many DP, EG, Memo Inquiry, Sponsor Visit and Death of Child information for the year. To me, compared to other CI countries the advantage of sponsoring in India is the presence of SAHAY and CHILDREN.

 

I just received a letter from Neyli in Honduras. As lovely as she always is, writing to thank me for the immense support I give her. But apart from my monthly contribution plus an occasional gift, I'd love to know what's she so thankful about (me) improving her living conditions. Is this an overstatement of sponsor impact, or if not why don't we have resources like SAHAY and CHILDREN to enlighten us on what’s really done in the field!

Comments

  1. These programs sound excellent. They are clearly working closely with a number of partners to provide health care, education, etc. to the children. However, besides a couple of references to a "sponsored" child, and even to a "donor", I see nothing dedicated to individual sponsors or sponsoring on either website. There is no mention of a sponsor's role. There is a Donate button but no Sponsor button. I am not sure we'll be returning to the same sponsorship experience as before.

    July 9, 2024

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's true. The sponsorship program is exclusive to CI. Neither SAHAY nor CHILDREN have their own program, so all related matters are dealt by CIKC. I think in some countries, CI has franchise model (e.g. Philippines) where locally registered franchisees can promote sponsorship via children.org.

    July 9, 2024

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DP to Zambia

MSC archived stories -  January 18, 2025 Usually the turnaround time for DP is 4 weeks. It's been a month to next Sunday (Jan 26th) since UPS collected and successfully delivered my DPs to Dulce and the twins. Two years later, last night Simon appeared in my profile as a grown up man. As we aren't getting follow up photos from Zambia anymore, for the first time thought trying DPs to Faith and Simon there, so they will have to come to CC to collect it, where the staff will have a camera to take photos. I remember Zambia used to have the whole family gatherings for EG photoshoot out. So, are there anything special they would be more excited receiving? For example, a football or cricket bat & ball set for Simon, and for Faith.. (no idea!.. may be something to make her elegant hairstyle she has in the latest photo..?). Help me make the list, of course, I don't want to make staff jealous 

A step in a higher level journey

Estephanie is my former sponsored child through Children International, whom I cared for four and a half years since she was just 6yrs old. She is a gifted and bright child brought up in a loving family of four in Guatemala. Her abrupt departure from the sponsorship program in June 2019 was totally unexpected, even though I was acutely aware of their situation in the family a s well as the city leading up to this moment. Estephanie is not just any sponsored child, but someone who changed my life forever devoting to children in need. For that reason, I call her ‘my miracle little princess’ and she calls me ‘padrino’ (her godfather). In August 2020, fourteen months after her leaving CI, we met again and reunited with the family. It was our momentous encounter of this lifetime. The family has moved on leaving everything behind to start a new life abroad. More importantly , I was fortunate enough to see Estephanie growing up fast in a new world since I last saw her back home. At age...

Hypersonic CP with a challenge from Guayaquil

Crossing between London and New York would take about 8hrs by subsonic flight, but the Concorde used to make it supersonically in 3.5hrs – 44% of normal time. In comparison, I learned this week that the new way of electronic communication between me and Aaron surprisingly took only 23 days – 25% of usual 90 days for a CP (child response letter) to arrive at hypersonic speed!! I asked Aaron (age 12) to try some fun activities and challenges during this time, among them was to find 26 items that begin with every letter of the English alphabet in his house. Interestingly he came up with Spanish words as opposed to English. He admitted.. “It was a little difficult for me to find the objects of the alphabet but I managed it.” | A : árbol (tree) | B : baño (bathroom) | C : cama (bed) | D : dormitorio (bedroom) | E : espejo (mirror) | F : frutas (fruits) | G : gatos (cats) | H : hilos (thread) | I : inodoro (toilette) | J : jabón (soap) | K : ?? | L : lana (wool) | M : máquina (machine) | ...