Skip to main content

Goodbyes to MSC

MSC archived stories - March 16, 2025

I haven't been able to publish anything on MSC recently when I became a carer for my elderly parents (whist on a full-time job). It makes me wonder how privileged are we to come and share stories of our sponsored children in the safest home of CI, MSC. Yes, when you're here life truly takes you to another level, leaving behind our ups and downs of the day… a therapeutic support indeed!

I hate to contemplate the imminent shutting down of MSC for good, so to reminisce just started to archive my own stories, including shared comments, of course [chelakablog.blogspot.com] as best I can. I hope to be able to complete this task by next Sunday. If anyone can scavenge any interesting discussions on the message boards please do let me know, so I can try and archive them separately.


Farewell and best wishes for the FB Group.

Comments

  1. Globetrotter314
    I'm sorry that you are juggling two jobs of caring for your parents and working full time. I'm also sad that the MSC group is going to be gone forever, but the reason for this is because there are problems on here that nobody can fix, not even the IT tech team can fix this. Everything else will still be accessible on here like our accounts, photos, letters, our children, and the rest of the webpage. I have to admit that it will be weird to come on here and find MSC gone, but maybe the website will work better and faster for us since MSC takes up a lot of space on here. I have Facebook, Youtube, Twitter, and Discord. I have been sharing things about my sponsored children on Discord. You can find me as Jennifer Olsen on FB and Twitter, but on Discord and Youtube, I go by RevolutionaryWarfangirl28. Thank you all for sharing your wonderful memories on here and I hope to see you all on the FB group and other social media sites.

    March 16, 2025

    ReplyDelete
  2. lizaxoxo
    Thank you chelaka for sharing your sponsorships, your experiences, your knowledge, your accomplishments, and your feelings all these years.

    March 16, 2025

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa_8e8c5
    I have always enjoyed your posts. Thank you for including us by sharing your posts. Best wishes to you.

    March 17, 2025

    ReplyDelete
  4. n23foster
    I'll miss you terribly, Chelaka, and wish you the very best with caring for your parents while working full-time.

    March 17, 2025

    ReplyDelete
  5. rgfischoff
    Chelaka! This is a faretheewell salute: you are a generous, involved CI Sponsor; I applaud your grit, your charity, your humanity and your fierce loyalty to curiosity and education. Standing ovation from Rachel !

    March 19, 2025

    ReplyDelete
  6. snow_tiger
    We will miss you chelaka. I have enjoyed getting to know you and the children you sponsor over the years.

    March 19, 2025

    ReplyDelete
  7. mariemrcm
    Thank you Chelaka for blogging about your sponsorship adventure. I am not certain facebook will replace what we had here at MSC and even if it does I am not sure I'll be a part of it. I'm going to miss this space because for me too, it was a happy therapy and a great experience to come here. I'm going to take note of your blog because, as you well know, I have a soft spot for Simon. I remember a riddle you put here and the winner could suggest 2 children and you would choose 1 to be the next sponsor. So I was the winner and I suggested Simon and he won a wonderful sponsor!

    March 19, 2025

    ReplyDelete
  8. chelaka
    Wow.. thank you so much for the lovely comments, though I wasn't planning to end my adventure here or anywhere with you! I hear the twins sobbing and screaming not to leave any of you. I was more concerned about archiving our truly wonderful memories before they lost forever, so time is against me to save them! It's been a quite a leap and for the moment adjusting to my new norm of life before returning to wherever this journey takes us, so please don't lose faith in me. What we share matters the most giving meaning to life. Good luck, until we rejoin on the other side!

    March 19, 2025

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DP to Zambia

MSC archived stories -  January 18, 2025 Usually the turnaround time for DP is 4 weeks. It's been a month to next Sunday (Jan 26th) since UPS collected and successfully delivered my DPs to Dulce and the twins. Two years later, last night Simon appeared in my profile as a grown up man. As we aren't getting follow up photos from Zambia anymore, for the first time thought trying DPs to Faith and Simon there, so they will have to come to CC to collect it, where the staff will have a camera to take photos. I remember Zambia used to have the whole family gatherings for EG photoshoot out. So, are there anything special they would be more excited receiving? For example, a football or cricket bat & ball set for Simon, and for Faith.. (no idea!.. may be something to make her elegant hairstyle she has in the latest photo..?). Help me make the list, of course, I don't want to make staff jealous 

A step in a higher level journey

Estephanie is my former sponsored child through Children International, whom I cared for four and a half years since she was just 6yrs old. She is a gifted and bright child brought up in a loving family of four in Guatemala. Her abrupt departure from the sponsorship program in June 2019 was totally unexpected, even though I was acutely aware of their situation in the family a s well as the city leading up to this moment. Estephanie is not just any sponsored child, but someone who changed my life forever devoting to children in need. For that reason, I call her ‘my miracle little princess’ and she calls me ‘padrino’ (her godfather). In August 2020, fourteen months after her leaving CI, we met again and reunited with the family. It was our momentous encounter of this lifetime. The family has moved on leaving everything behind to start a new life abroad. More importantly , I was fortunate enough to see Estephanie growing up fast in a new world since I last saw her back home. At age...

Hypersonic CP with a challenge from Guayaquil

Crossing between London and New York would take about 8hrs by subsonic flight, but the Concorde used to make it supersonically in 3.5hrs – 44% of normal time. In comparison, I learned this week that the new way of electronic communication between me and Aaron surprisingly took only 23 days – 25% of usual 90 days for a CP (child response letter) to arrive at hypersonic speed!! I asked Aaron (age 12) to try some fun activities and challenges during this time, among them was to find 26 items that begin with every letter of the English alphabet in his house. Interestingly he came up with Spanish words as opposed to English. He admitted.. “It was a little difficult for me to find the objects of the alphabet but I managed it.” | A : árbol (tree) | B : baño (bathroom) | C : cama (bed) | D : dormitorio (bedroom) | E : espejo (mirror) | F : frutas (fruits) | G : gatos (cats) | H : hilos (thread) | I : inodoro (toilette) | J : jabón (soap) | K : ?? | L : lana (wool) | M : máquina (machine) | ...