Skip to main content

The Power to Change the World

MSC archived stories - April 7, 2023

In January, Neyli and her mom, Zoila received a gift voucher (EG) to purchase my welcome presents. It's wonderful to see that they now get to have shopping done at their own pace but then making the way back to the CC to take photos and write a note for me in the presence of CI staff.

 

They both are filled with gratitude and joy as the life has returned to BC (Before Covid) times. Neyli's passion for the environment and reforestation turned to rather new perspective when she said "In my department, we have a campaign to plant 5 trees". The key word being 'department' because I did not realise in the Spanish speaking world it means an administrative region as opposed to an institutional establishment, like a department in a school or company.

 

That's a whole different scenario, where I could see Neyli being very much into environmental activism. Her silent words of exchange powerfully depicted in that beautiful top she chose (added to media). Also, the latest FR updated in last month mentioned of her "taking care of animals", which does come in line with her affinity for nature conservation.

 

Living in an ever interdependent world today, reflecting on her way of life.. is an inspiration to me.

Comments

  1. Love Neyli's POWER shirt! So good to see this younger generation being active in the environmental issues.

    April 7, 2023

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, the Power to change the world! I've changed the title of this story now. Thank you

    April 7, 2023

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

DP to Zambia

MSC archived stories -  January 18, 2025 Usually the turnaround time for DP is 4 weeks. It's been a month to next Sunday (Jan 26th) since UPS collected and successfully delivered my DPs to Dulce and the twins. Two years later, last night Simon appeared in my profile as a grown up man. As we aren't getting follow up photos from Zambia anymore, for the first time thought trying DPs to Faith and Simon there, so they will have to come to CC to collect it, where the staff will have a camera to take photos. I remember Zambia used to have the whole family gatherings for EG photoshoot out. So, are there anything special they would be more excited receiving? For example, a football or cricket bat & ball set for Simon, and for Faith.. (no idea!.. may be something to make her elegant hairstyle she has in the latest photo..?). Help me make the list, of course, I don't want to make staff jealous 

A step in a higher level journey

Estephanie is my former sponsored child through Children International, whom I cared for four and a half years since she was just 6yrs old. She is a gifted and bright child brought up in a loving family of four in Guatemala. Her abrupt departure from the sponsorship program in June 2019 was totally unexpected, even though I was acutely aware of their situation in the family a s well as the city leading up to this moment. Estephanie is not just any sponsored child, but someone who changed my life forever devoting to children in need. For that reason, I call her ‘my miracle little princess’ and she calls me ‘padrino’ (her godfather). In August 2020, fourteen months after her leaving CI, we met again and reunited with the family. It was our momentous encounter of this lifetime. The family has moved on leaving everything behind to start a new life abroad. More importantly , I was fortunate enough to see Estephanie growing up fast in a new world since I last saw her back home. At age...

Hypersonic CP with a challenge from Guayaquil

Crossing between London and New York would take about 8hrs by subsonic flight, but the Concorde used to make it supersonically in 3.5hrs – 44% of normal time. In comparison, I learned this week that the new way of electronic communication between me and Aaron surprisingly took only 23 days – 25% of usual 90 days for a CP (child response letter) to arrive at hypersonic speed!! I asked Aaron (age 12) to try some fun activities and challenges during this time, among them was to find 26 items that begin with every letter of the English alphabet in his house. Interestingly he came up with Spanish words as opposed to English. He admitted.. “It was a little difficult for me to find the objects of the alphabet but I managed it.” | A : árbol (tree) | B : baño (bathroom) | C : cama (bed) | D : dormitorio (bedroom) | E : espejo (mirror) | F : frutas (fruits) | G : gatos (cats) | H : hilos (thread) | I : inodoro (toilette) | J : jabón (soap) | K : ?? | L : lana (wool) | M : máquina (machine) | ...